Water Fording depth

Kdixon

Jul 21, 2023
Hello everyone. We will be heading out on out first major trip to Sand Hollow next week. One of the places we plan to go, Toquerville Falls, has a route where you cross a stream several times. According to Polaris, the water fording depth is 17.8 inches for the ADV 5 Northstar, which we have, but is 28 inches for the XP 5 Ultimate. Does anyone know why the 10" difference? I have asked our local Polaris dealer's service department and no one could come up with a reason. The engine intake is the same for all models and the AC intake is under the hood. Basically nothing that should impact the water depth. Does anyone have some insight?

Hello everyone. We will be heading out on out first major trip to Sand Hollow next week. One of the places we plan to go, Toquerville Falls, has a route where you cross a stream several times. According to Polaris, the water fording depth is 17.8 inches for the ADV 5 Northstar, which we have, but is 28 inches for the XP 5 Ultimate. Does anyone know why the 10" difference? I have asked our local Polaris dealer's service department and no one could come up with a reason. The engine intake is the same for all models and the AC intake is under the hood. Basically nothing that should impact the water depth. Does anyone have some insight?
The Northstar units have an actual alternator that's ducted to atmosphere (passenger side rear). The non-Northstar units have a stator system that's selaed differently.

The Northstar units have an actual alternator that's ducted to atmosphere (passenger side rear). The non-Northstar units have a stator system that's selaed differently.
Thanks for the reply. So, you are absolutely correct. There is a hose that connects to the top of the housing that appears to act as an air vent. Any water deeper than that would flood the housing that covers the alternator with no way to escape. From what I can see, you would have to take the cover off to drain. Definitely not a good thing. With my 32" tires and lift kit, I measure about 32" to the bottom of the vent tube. Is the 10" difference in water fording height just an overabundance of caution?
I found this on Amazon and plan to replace the 4" tall hose vent and route it above the fender well. This will raise the opening another 10 or more inches and add an additional level of safety. I really don't plan to exceed 30" or so of water, but feel like the extra protection is worth it. Thoughts?

I submerged my adv5 Sunday and had both 33 inch rear tires below the water line. Was running in 18 inch deep water in the east fork of the virgin north and east of Sand Hollow when I high centered on a submerged ledge. By the time we rescued it outta there with two SxS winch rigs on either side of the river, I discovered that the front end will float if you're in deep enough water. Don't know exactly how water ended up in the fuel system. oil related crankcase system does not have water. Scheduled into dealer service tomorrow morning.

This is my biggest concern about buying the northstar edition. I assume it's due to the alternator location as this also dictates the fording depth of my truck. I'm wondering what the consequences are for short term fording of 30 inches or so like crossing a river or driving through a beaver dam, say up to a minute?

I submerged my adv5 Sunday and had both 33 inch rear tires below the water line. Was running in 18 inch deep water in the east fork of the virgin north and east of Sand Hollow when I high centered on a submerged ledge. By the time we rescued it outta there with two SxS winch rigs on either side of the river, I discovered that the front end will float if you're in deep enough water. Don't know exactly how water ended up in the fuel system. oil related crankcase system does not have water. Scheduled into dealer service tomorrow morning.
That's too bad. We were at Sand Hollow all last week as well. As for the water in the fuel, from what I understand, there is a fuel tank breather vent that comes up behind the driver seat inside the frame. Some people have extended it because they could smell fumes. With what you went through, water fording height may be another reason to extend it.

That's too bad. We were at Sand Hollow all last week as well. As for the water in the fuel, from what I understand, there is a fuel tank breather vent that comes up behind the driver seat inside the frame. Some people have extended it because they could smell fumes. With what you went through, water fording height may be another reason to extend it.
Thanks for your comments. After the dealer looked at it. No water in the gas, even though the water was several inches above floor. Ended up being ecu invoked Rev limiter, some water in clutch which made operation eradicate, error code was a mysterious code about fuel?.. no one could relate code description to primary clutch, which they replaced because it was scarred. They put the original belt back on, Reset the error code. I bought an extended warranty. They had to inspect entire machine to approve warranty. Did not drain gas. It runs fine. Go figure.

If you look under plastic housing that covers the alternator , compressor you will find a 5/8 hole in bottom . I put a plug in mine . I took exhaust hose off and put my original air intake hose on it so it makes a snorkel it did take some trimming .The hose was left over from turbo kit . The bolt in pic was replaced by plastic plug .

Attachments

• IMG_1337.jpeg
    IMG_1337.jpeg
    466.4 KB · Views: 98
In my experience the alternator can get wet, but its mud you want to avoid. I'm not around my rig to check, and may be reading your question wrong, but would the hole in the bottom be there to allow water to drain out if it got in the cover since the top of the hose/vent can allow water to get in (not sealed to atmosphere) The cover is there to keep the mud off of the unit?
I was fording some rivers over the week end, definitely was over the stock tires, no issues.

Back