Unknown plugs??

JacentLey

Sep 1, 2023
Spokane, WA
Anyone know what the two plugs at the front of the Xpedition Northstar are for? They are right behind the front fascia sitting on top of the winch in front of the radiator.

Attachments

• IMG_0681.jpeg
    IMG_0681.jpeg
    386.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0682.jpeg
    IMG_0682.jpeg
    481.5 KB · Views: 82
I thought it might have to do with the auto stop feature on the winch for plowing but the Northstar edition comes with that standard.

It’s a deutsch connector for the light end. Fairly common and easy to get. There is a little difference depending on wire gauge that you have to be aware of. For instance the connector on the 50” rigid light bar had a little wider spacing on the pins than the 15 amp harness had. That’s why there was a delay on harnesses for those light bars. Heavier gauge wires and bigger plugs.

I thought it might have to do with the auto stop feature on the winch for plowing but the Northstar edition comes with that standard.
I do not think the auto Stop feature is standard on the NorthStar. At least mine does not have it.
UPDATE: 11/21/2023: Mine was broken apparently and Polaris is replacing the entire winch.

Last edited:
I do not think the auto Stop feature is standard on the NorthStar. At least mine does not have it.
It should. If yours isn’t auto stopping you should check the plugs and make sure it’s plugged in at both ends. It’s a standard feature on the Xpeditions

My Northstar Auto stop did not work from the factory. It actually pulled the rubber donut with the magnet into the Fairlead and tore it up..
When I added the remote control kit to the expedition that changed out the Auto stop box as well. My auto stop now works except I had to mount the donut behind the rubber stopper instead of on the outside of it like it's supposed to be. That might be because the magnet got all broken to pieces and part of is missing. Not sure about that.
IMG_20231003_153146033_HDR.jpg

My Northstar Auto stop did not work from the factory. It actually pulled the rubber donut with the magnet into the Fairlead and tore it up..
When I added the remote control kit to the expedition that changed out the Auto stop box as well. My auto stop now works except I had to mount the donut behind the rubber stopper instead of on the outside of it like it's supposed to be. That might be because the magnet got all broken to pieces and part of is missing. Not sure about that.View attachment 769
The rubber stopper is there to allow a little tension before it stops. Otherwise it’ll hang loose like in your picture.

It should. If yours isn’t auto stopping you should check the plugs and make sure it’s plugged in at both ends. It’s a standard feature on the Xpeditions
The Auto Stop and remote are stock with the 6K winch but not with the 4500 winch. You have to order that and the remote as accessories for the 4500 winch.

The Auto Stop and remote are stock with the 6K winch but not with the 4500 winch. You have to order that and the remote as accessories for the 4500 winch.
It was factory stock with the auto stop on my 4500# winch on my XP 5 Ultimate. Just no wireless remote.

It was factory stock with the auto stop on my 4500# winch on my XP 5 Ultimate. Just no wireless remote.
Same here. My auto stop works fine with the rubber stopper between the magnet and fairlead. No remote here either. Was disappointed in that as my Ranger came with the remote.

I see on Polaris's web site it says the auto stop is standard on the ADV 5 Northstar and another place it says it's an accessory. So I'll call Polaris tomorrow and see what they say. If it's stock I want it!

Answer: Standard on the NorthStar.

Last edited:
It’s a deutsch connector for the light end. Fairly common and easy to get. There is a little difference depending on wire gauge that you have to be aware of. For instance the connector on the 50” rigid light bar had a little wider spacing on the pins than the 15 amp harness had. That’s why there was a delay on harnesses for those light bars. Heavier gauge wires and bigger plugs.
Do you know what the manufacturer of the rocker switches is? Polaris wants $65 and the normal ones you can buy have bigger blades

Do you know what the manufacturer of the rocker switches is? Polaris wants $65 and the normal ones you can buy have bigger blades
I wasn’t able to find anyone with the rockers for the smaller blade switches. Had to buy the $65 one from Polaris for my auxiliary lights that are pre-wired. I spent quite a lot of time searching the interwebs for one but couldn’t find any 🫤

I wasn’t able to find anyone with the rockers for the smaller blade switches. Had to buy the $65 one from Polaris for my auxiliary lights that are pre-wired. I spent quite a lot of time searching the interwebs for one but couldn’t find any 🫤
Yeah I have been searching too, but no luck. I did find the plugs. Thanks for that one! Next question on the two plugs up front. Which one is for the lights? The one plugged in to the cap that is attached or the loose one with no cap.

There was one with a cap but hanging loose on the driver side that had the power from the switch. I didn’t see any uncapped on mine. Also I just bought the Y cable from Polaris to connect the 2 lights. I bought a pair of gp10s from GG Lighting for my driving lights. They don’t fit completely into the hole on the HD bumper but still work good. And they come with deutsch connections.
IMG_7006.jpeg
IMG_7007.jpeg
IMG_7008.jpeg

Back