Xpedition and gas

Ethanol free gasoline is fine and even preferable. They do recommend Top Tier detergent gasoline though, to help keep the valves clean.

Reactions: B B
Last edited:
My machine tripped the check engine light. Was running fine. Dealer found nothing wrong and blamed it on the gas. They advised to use non ethanol gas or if using ethanol to use 91 octane.

Reactions: B B
At 1.96 for a litre of 91 octane here in ontario, and the way this thing drinks gas, it makes me think I’ll have to pull a trailer with a shotgun rider to carry extra gas.

My machine tripped the check engine light. Was running fine. Dealer found nothing wrong and blamed it on the gas. They advised to use non ethanol gas or if using ethanol to use 91 octane.
Absolutely false information. Ethanol is way cleaner and burns cooler and has way higher octane than gasoline. What you got was some bad gasoline.
I have switched every vehicle that can be switched, to E85. and tuned for it. With a turbo or supercharger along with correct tuning, E85 can almost double HP capabilities over 91 octane gasoline. Not saying that you can run E85 in your Polaris but the ethanol has nothing to do with your issue.
I have been running 93 octane with 10% ethanol for years in all of my ATV's and UTV's and never had a single issue.

Absolutely false information. Ethanol is way cleaner and burns cooler and has way higher octane than gasoline. What you got was some bad gasoline.
I have switched every vehicle that can be switched, to E85. and tuned for it. With a turbo or supercharger along with correct tuning, E85 can almost double HP capabilities over 91 octane gasoline. Not saying that you can run E85 in your Polaris but the ethanol has nothing to do with your issue.
I have been running 93 octane with 10% ethanol for years in all of my ATV's and UTV's and never had a single issue.
As you stated, you tuned for E85. The tunes adjust timing and injection to account for the difference in ignition rate between gasoline and ethanol. Bad gas can be as simple as 15% or higher ethanol content. There definitely shouldn’t be any issues with 10% but some gas stations claiming only up to 10% ethanol have tested as high as 20-25%, which could cause issues. Especially with these newer engines and all the bs sensors.
Ethanol test kits are easy to get and simple to use. If your gas tests at 10% or less then there’s a good chance the dealer is just being a dealer.

As you stated, you tuned for E85. The tunes adjust timing and injection to account for the difference in ignition rate between gasoline and ethanol. Bad gas can be as simple as 15% or higher ethanol content. There definitely shouldn’t be any issues with 10% but some gas stations claiming only up to 10% ethanol have tested as high as 20-25%, which could cause issues. Especially with these newer engines and all the bs sensors.
Ethanol test kits are easy to get and simple to use. If your gas tests at 10% or less then there’s a good chance the dealer is just being a dealer.
I'm in south Texas and usually the further south you go, the possibility of having higher ethanol content in the gas is higher here than up north.
I agree that if the content is too high and the motor isn't tuned for it, then it could be a problem. I have been running 93 in all my toys for as long as I can remember without one single issue. So not sure where you have seen this issue.

Utah, Arizona and Nevada. I used to always go for the cheapest gas stations just trying to save money. An easy way for them to offer cheaper fuel is a higher ethanol content. One of the biggest culprits several years ago was Maverik gas stations in Utah. Tried saving money because they were cheaper, but one time I had to buy fuel from a chevron and my mileage went up 3 mpg on my old suburban. That was about the time I started paying attention to ethanol content.
Since getting my first SxS in 2019, I’ve done much the same as you. 91 or higher octane and no more than 10% ethanol and I’ve never had any issues.

Just putting it out there to watch out for the cheap gas.

Back