General to Xpedition…maybe

Mike240

Dec 6, 2023
Az
Hopefully members will entertain some questions from a General owner. My interest in the X is its cab comfort, strength in frame and size of bed and options for that bed. Ride Command would be nice I suppose but I am fine with my GPS and a map. I really have no use for audio and the soundbar in the General was useless and removed for an overhead Blak-Rac.

The thought of enclosed with hvac seems nice but I do not think worth the maintenance nor effective when over 100. The extreme rockiness of Az trails makes me worry about the vibrations to the seals etc of hvac. For those from Az you understand…Bulldog Canyon.

Complaints of cab sealing issues would seem to make it less effective. Probably takes the edge off in some regions but we had like 100 days over 110 so summer rides in the deserts do not happen anyway.

Cab noise-I would plan to put in front and rear glass. Does anyone have a 2 door ultimate or premium X and come from a General or equal? Would this combo really be louder than the G? Seems to me the drone or resonance is with the enclosed cabs (door windows up).

General has front and rear glass and though a conversation is a shouting match I guess I have grown used to it but would want more noise. Dust is not issue since adding rear glass which prevent that sucking in effect.

Though I have not had the reverse chain issue with the G, it is a weak link. I understand the Ranger trans is stronger and uses gears not the chain. What trans is in the X?

Also was considering a Ranger 1500 but for my riding in this country I would need lots suspension work to get a ride like the G with the Shock Therapy treatment I have. But that engine sounds awesome.

I also plant to see what the Kawasaki Ridge is going to be on the Jan 23,2024 release to see if it more G or X type model.

Thanks

Hopefully members will entertain some questions from a General owner. My interest in the X is its cab comfort, strength in frame and size of bed and options for that bed. Ride Command would be nice I suppose but I am fine with my GPS and a map. I really have no use for audio and the soundbar in the General was useless and removed for an overhead Blak-Rac.

The thought of enclosed with hvac seems nice but I do not think worth the maintenance nor effective when over 100. The extreme rockiness of Az trails makes me worry about the vibrations to the seals etc of hvac. For those from Az you understand…Bulldog Canyon.

Complaints of cab sealing issues would seem to make it less effective. Probably takes the edge off in some regions but we had like 100 days over 110 so summer rides in the deserts do not happen anyway.

Cab noise-I would plan to put in front and rear glass. Does anyone have a 2 door ultimate or premium X and come from a General or equal? Would this combo really be louder than the G? Seems to me the drone or resonance is with the enclosed cabs (door windows up).

General has front and rear glass and though a conversation is a shouting match I guess I have grown used to it but would want more noise. Dust is not issue since adding rear glass which prevent that sucking in effect.

Though I have not had the reverse chain issue with the G, it is a weak link. I understand the Ranger trans is stronger and uses gears not the chain. What trans is in the X?

Also was considering a Ranger 1500 but for my riding in this country I would need lots suspension work to get a ride like the G with the Shock Therapy treatment I have. But that engine sounds awesome.

I also plant to see what the Kawasaki Ridge is going to be on the Jan 23,2024 release to see if it more G or X type model.

Thanks
I traded in a base model 2019 General 4 on my Xpedition. It had no stereo, no ride command, nothing. I added a trailtech voyager for gps but my main improvements were in the suspension. 30” BFG KM3s on Raceline beadlocks, Super ATV high clearance A-arms and custom tuned and springed shocks. All told, well over $6000 into the suspension. I also had an ECM tune and Dalton clutch kit…

Even with all that, the Xpedition, straight from the factory, is more comfortable, rides 100x better and would blow the General out of the water power wise.

My Xpedition is a XP5 Ultimate… It is a little louder than the General but doesn’t seem terribly much more.
There are some issues, but they’re somewhat expected from a 1st model year on any machine. I’ve fixed up the majority of them myself.

Having come from a General to the Xpedition, and having over 1000 miles on the new Xpedition, I still highly recommend the upgrade to anyone in the position to do so. There’s nothing wrong with the Generals. They’re excellent machines in their own right. Just the Xpedition is a large leap ahead in capacity, comfort and performance. With that leap comes a leap in price though. 🤷🏻‍♂️

We had a 17 General deluxe with the full cab. It had those stupid windows in the doors that folded back and we hated them.
It was also on 62" wide and very tippy. Several times on Colorado switchbacks it tried to tip with us. Also too low to the ground and got stuck in the snow easily as the underbelly hung up
Our XP5 with 5+2 beadlocks is 68" wide and has a longer wheelbase. Has more power, has power windows, heat and AC. I spent $300 or so and a couple weeks insulating the firewall, center console, headliner and made floor mats. Also added the AA cruiser clutch kit. Still not as quiet as we would like but either the same or slightly less noisy than the General. The difference is the tone of the sound- Xpedition has a harsher tone.
The General had Fox RC2s with Shock Therapy springs that cost me 3k. The stock Xpedition rides better on its stock shocks.
In Texas if just riding trails the AC was fine (even before I insulated it) When it didn't cool good was when we were driving 40-50 down a hot black top road in Texas and it was 105 degrees
We wouldn't want the General back............

Interesting that the AC didn’t cool at higher speed. I figured would not be effective at 10-20 rough trail speed.

Too much heat was getting into the cab at high speeds mainly through the tunnel. At slow speeds not as much heat was coming in so the AC works better
Forgot to mention we took it down to a park in Louisiana where it was hot and muggy and very dusty. We rode around for 2 days at 5 to 10 miles an hour the AC worked very well

Followup question. Can anyone advise if in the NS 4 door model, the noise is less for the front occupants withe motor and high intake vents being further away?

Probably just need to take the Cardo or Rugged Radio plunge either way…can’t talk to passenger in the General (open cab) when moving on rough ground either.

Anyone know more about the trans? Reverse chain like G? Or tougher like Ranger?

Back