What's new

wheel bearing grease

Hammer

New member
Joined
Nov 2, 2023
Messages
4
Reaction score
3
Location
Maryland
what are you guys doing for the wheel bearing grease? when I had a rzr I used a tool and put grease in all the wheel bearings and the machine never had issues. I don't see anything on the expedition for wheel bearing grease. I can't even find a tool for it.
 
what are you guys doing for the wheel bearing grease? when I had a rzr I used a tool and put grease in all the wheel bearings and the machine never had issues. I don't see anything on the expedition for wheel bearing grease. I can't even find a tool for it.
They are sealed and not serviceable
 
If/when ever have an issue with the stock wheel bearings, my plan is to change them out with Sandcraft taper bearings. I’m running a really deep offset wheel and my Xpedition is always loaded pretty heavy so I know I’m putting a lot of strain on them, but no issues so far with 2000 miles on them.
 
what are you guys doing for the wheel bearing grease? when I had a rzr I used a tool and put grease in all the wheel bearings and the machine never had issues. I don't see anything on the expedition for wheel bearing grease. I can't even find a tool for it.
The same tool works for all Polaris SXS machines. I'm using the same one I bought for the RZR800 wheel bearings.
This photo shows an Xpedition front wheel bearing pressed into the Bearing Carrier.
Wheel Bearing Slot.webp


This is the top of my tool: It's available from TwoGuysHobby.com Designed for 44mm bearings.
20260607_151243.webp


These are the components. The greaser. Note the groove, full of grease, at the middle. This is where the grease comes from and
goes into the bearing. Then a backing plate to keep grease in the bearing and a wing nut to hold the backing plate in place.
20260607_151311.webp

This is the grease I'm using. I use it on my Bobcat skidsteer and excavator for 26 and 23 years with no issues.
20260607_151440.webp


Hope this helps,
Pirate
 

Attachments

  • 20260607_151251.webp
    20260607_151251.webp
    286.6 KB · Views: 137
They are sealed and not serviceable
Well, Yes and No.
The front wheel bearings can be greased. See my response to Hammer on how I grease them.

The rear wheel bearings cannot be greased. I can't say if any other Polaris machines have this type bearing. But my General did not.
This photo shows you the "ASM - UNITIZED HUB" as sold by Polaris. There are three pieces.
The piece with the five studs is the front piece. The studs are the wheel studs. The brake rotor goes over them and then the wheel.
This piece rotates with the tire/wheel. The means of checking the bearing condition is to rotate the tire and feel for roughness.
The back piece has four threaded holes for bolting the bearing assembly to the Bearing Carrier.
20260605_151504.webp

Here is photo of the Bearing Carrier showing the four bolts that thread into the back piece of the Wheel Bearing Assembly.
20260605_152049.webp

As one can see, there is no large snap ring to keep the bearing from backing out of the Unitized Hub Assembly.
My2026 Service Manual shows one can remove a large snap ring and press the Rearing Wheel Bearing out. Thus the Service Manual is not
correct as it shows the bearing can be pressed out. My 2026 and PolarisParts123.com show Polaris sells only the Unitized Hub Assembly for $209
I'm not going to try this until I have too!

This photo is of a side view of the assembled Bearing Carrier and Unitized Hub Assembly:
20260605_152109.webp

Hope this helps explain things.
Pirate
 

Attachments

  • 20260605_151531.webp
    20260605_151531.webp
    369.2 KB · Views: 157
  • 20260605_151409.webp
    20260605_151409.webp
    255.5 KB · Views: 144
You are most correct. What EPI Performance is selling for the Xpedition rear wheel bearings is essentially what Polaris sells. A complete unit.
Not sure where they are getting the other two pieces. But still not a bearing you can grease. No two piece inner bearing race.
I wonder what that bearing is? Ball bearing or Tapered roller bearing?
Pirate
 
I forgot to add this. The Front axle castellated nut requires a 29mm socket. A 30mm is just a touch to big and you'll see the corners of the hex's getting deformed as that is the only point of impact with the socket.
The correct Cotter Pin is a 5/32" x 1.5"
 
Polaris wheel bearings are all ball bearings. Sandcraft has two upgrade kits, one a ball bearing, the other a taper roller. The tapered roller bearings require a very specific torque on the spindle nut to set the bearings preload. The ball bearings aren’t as particular.
 
Polaris wheel bearings are all ball bearings. Sandcraft has two upgrade kits, one a ball bearing, the other a taper roller. The tapered roller bearings require a very specific torque on the spindle nut to set the bearings preload. The ball bearings aren’t as particular.
You talking Sandcraft replacements for the sealed hub assembly or the regular (greaseable and replaceable) bearings?
 
They’re definitely for the front bearings. I just haven’t ha a set of rear bearings go bad yet to have something to disassemble and pull measurements on. Despite them calling it a unitized assembly, it’s just press fit together. So there’s a good chance the bearings are the same, and the hub is machined to press-fit tolerances.
 
They’re definitely for the front bearings. I just haven’t ha a set of rear bearings go bad yet to have something to disassemble and pull measurements on. Despite them calling it a unitized assembly, it’s just press fit together. So there’s a good chance the bearings are the same, and the hub is machined to press-fit tolerances.
Thanks. I don't want to try and disassemble my new EPI one so will wait for one on one of my machines to fail then I will take it apart
 
They’re definitely for the front bearings. I just haven’t ha a set of rear bearings go bad yet to have something to disassemble and pull measurements on. Despite them calling it a unitized assembly, it’s just press fit together. So there’s a good chance the bearings are the same, and the hub is machined to press-fit tolerances.
Unfortunately, you can't replace the rear wheel bearings. You have to buy the Polaris:
1781714305082.webp

Since there is no snap ring, on the back, to keep the bearing in place and to lip on the front to press the bearing to.
I'm just not sure how one would replace the bearing. Thinking, it must be quite an interference fit.
Pirate
 
@johndeerefarmer, @JTBarlow

I know this is an older thread but im wondering if the EPI hub is more heavy duty and better than the factory hub for the front. I have a ton of noise coming from the driver side front wheel. If i push on thefront of the X and rock it back in forth real hard i hear the popping in the hub. Its at the dealer getting the SCR stabilizer installed on a new rack and i told them to do bearings and brakes while its open. Its the third time i replaced that bearing in 800 miles. Maybe its a bad hub causing the issue. IDK..
 
Last edited:
@johndeerefarmer, @JTBarlow

I know this is an older thread but im wondering if the EPI hub is more heavy duty and better than the factory hub for the front. I have a ton of noise coming from the driver side front wheel. If i push on thefront of the X and rock it back in forth real hard i hear the popping in the hub. Its at the dealer getting the SCR stabilizer installed on a new rack and i told them to do bearings and brakes while its open. Its the third time i replaced that bearing in 800 miles. Maybe its a bad hub causing the issue. IDK..
It appears identical to the Polaris hub as far as I can tell.

The noise you hear may be the bearing/hub issue. A Polaris tech posted on a FB group that he had had several where the wheel hub binds on the inner race of the bearing. The wheel hub is slightly too small and it binds when the load changes. He said he takes them apart and greases them and that stops the noise for awhile. He said sometimes new wheel bearings and hubs fixes it as well
 
It appears identical to the Polaris hub as far as I can tell.

The noise you hear may be the bearing/hub issue. A Polaris tech posted on a FB group that he had had several where the wheel hub binds on the inner race of the bearing. The wheel hub is slightly too small and it binds when the load changes. He said he takes them apart and greases them and that stops the noise for awhile. He said sometimes new wheel bearings and hubs fixes it as well
Thanks, this knocking is driving me crazy. Ill report back on the fix.
 
High Country Unlimited B's FAB UTV Rock Island Custom

Latest Discussions

Back
Top