Gear Ratios

Anyone know if they upgraded the clutch? My General XP (2 door) ate a belt every 6 months, even after the factory fix. I have replaced with a Dura-clutch and problems are all gone. I did loose 1-3mph on top end but how many time do you need to hit 70mph. I wish they just put the wet / dry clutch design so the belt stays engaged and why your add it put a parking brake on from the factory. I added one of those Parking Brake Thingy parking brakes and it's awesome. Just save us all these headaches that we need to add for 30K - 50K

So...someone with some knowledge on the subject, please tell us what these ratios mean. Are they good? Bad? the same as another model? An improvement?

So...someone with some knowledge on the subject, please tell us what these ratios mean. Are they good? Bad? the same as another model? An improvement?
Lower gearing as compared to the General XP. Polaris did this because it's a heavier machine. The low gear is nearly as low as my Turbo R which is 35:1. With the lower gearing, you should be able to run 32's without issues. A Polaris engineer on one video said that 32's would fit without mods.
I just ordered beadlocks and 32x10x15" Tusk Terabites for mine.

Lower gearing as compared to the General XP. Polaris did this because it's a heavier machine. The low gear is nearly as low as my Turbo R which is 35:1. With the lower gearing, you should be able to run 32's without issues. A Polaris engineer on one video said that 32's would fit without mods.
Thanks. I appreciate that explanation.

Don't know if you've had the Tusk Terabites before but I hate them. They throw rocks like crazy. Last week a rock flew up and got my Northstar windshield right when I'm getting ready to sell it. Not to mention all the chipped A-arm paint.

Don't know if you've had the Tusk Terabites before but I hate them. They throw rocks like crazy. Last week a rock flew up and got my Northstar windshield right when I'm getting ready to sell it. Not to mention all the chipped A-arm paint.
My pro armor do the same thing as do any tire that has close together tread.

Don't like hearing that! I hoping the Pro Armor aren't as bad but we shall see. Nothing like throwing rocks all over our new rides!
I have ran Pro Armor Crawler XG's since 2016. They do good in rocks and general trail riding. Not good in mud or snow because the treads are close together and the mud won't come out.
The Bronco comes with some Goodyear Wrangler flavor of tire and everyone complains about them throwing rocks

I have ran Pro Armor Crawler XG's since 2016. They do good in rocks and general trail riding. Not good in mud or snow because the treads are close together and the mud won't come out.
The Bronco comes with some Goodyear Wrangler flavor of tire and everyone complains about them throwing rocks
I can confirm that the Bronco tires do indeed throw rocks. They beat the hell out of my lower doors on my 2022 Bronco Badlands until I got mud flaps put on. Otherwise, they are fantastic tires.

Anyone know if they upgraded the clutch? My General XP (2 door) ate a belt every 6 months, even after the factory fix. I have replaced with a Dura-clutch and problems are all gone. I did loose 1-3mph on top end but how many time do you need to hit 70mph. I wish they just put the wet / dry clutch design so the belt stays engaged and why your add it put a parking brake on from the factory. I added one of those Parking Brake Thingy parking brakes and it's awesome. Just save us all these headaches that we need to add for 30K - 50K
Sorry I put this post in gear ratios, seemed like the best fit considering topics already posted. Does anyone have info on the clutch, does it have EBS? I would think for such a big vehicle.

I now have EBS on my General XP due to changing to the Duraclutch, and can't say I hate it it does come in handy sometimes, but yes when trail ridding it can be a pain. Be neat if there was a switch to turn on/off like the downhill decent switch they have on the Sportsmen ATV's. I live in NE PA so not a ton of flat out open -r up places. Mostly, up one mountain to the next switchback and down a washout- but still great ridding but EBS does help in those sitch's

Riding the grades in Hatfield McCoy, the EBS in my Northstar factory clutch wanted to make the ass end come around beside me on steep grades when it kicked in. I first eliminated the 1-way bearing, then still had some hard shifting with the factory clutch. I finally installed the Gilomen clutch and that resolved all the issues. It's been much better on steep grades. Last winter I installed the GGB exhaust. I didn't do that hoping for more HP. I already had 118HP with the Gilomen tune. I did it for the smaller and higher mounted muffler to make it easier draining the fluid. The factory muffler was in the way and a pain. Our next trip to WV, I found the reduced back pressure made it even smoother going down a steep grade.

Anyway, I think Polaris is using a clutch on these w/o the EBS, if I recall correctly. I think I read that somewhere.

It doesn't have EBS. Having said that EBS is great in the mountains if you can keep a steady speed. As was said above if you let it kick on and off it will throw your ass end around.. EBS saves your brakes. I have had a buddy drive through a stream and I saw his brakes making steam they were so hot (from going down a hill)

I wired my General to have all wheel drive engaged when I hit the 3-way, much like the down hill decent on a Sportsman. So no back end sliding at all since all wheels are hooked up and stay locked. I think I will pass on year 1 of the Expedition and see what comes out of it as far as improvements that may be discovered

I wired my General to have all wheel drive engaged when I hit the 3-way, much like the down hill decent on a Sportsman. So no back end sliding at all since all wheels are hooked up and stay locked. I think I will pass on year 1 of the Expedition and see what comes out of it as far as improvements that may be discovered
That's not how the Hillard front diff works. It only engages when it senses slip from the rear- doesn't matter whether you apply 12V to it all of the time or not. So going downhill unless your front wheels are slipping it won't be engaged.

Back