WD Electronics Turn Signal Kit and LED Rocker Switch Upgrade

browettm

Jul 3, 2023
Reno, NV
Put the turn signal kit on my rig a while ago but was sad the rocker switches weren't illuminated. Couple of amazon purchases, wiring, and soldering later and now I have a cool illuminated horn switch and a multi-color hazard rocker that flashes when the hazards are on. Just a quick video overview. Hit me up if you want more details.

Put the turn signal kit on my rig a while ago but was sad the rocker switches weren't illuminated. Couple of amazon purchases, wiring, and soldering later and now I have a cool illuminated horn switch and a multi-color hazard rocker that flashes when the hazards are on. Just a quick video overview. Hit me up if you want more details.

Nice video. Care to show the wiring you did on the back of the switch? I'm pretty sure you can just add illumination power to WD switch and get the same result?

Nice video. Care to show the wiring you did on the back of the switch? I'm pretty sure you can just add illumination power to WD switch and get the same result?
See the pics for the wiring "diagrams."

So yes and no on the WD switches and this information came straight from them.

The WD Hazard switch has no LEDs in it at all, no capacitors on the circuit board for LEDs, nothing - and no pins to support power for any LEDs. If you take the rocker switch apart you can see that. It is simply an single throw single pole on-off switch, no LEDs. To illuminate that one you have to go with the rocker I recommended or something similar. And if you want the multicolor LED you have to solder in a red LED yourself.

The WD horn switch does have one LED - I believe on top - and it is blue. WD told me in theory you could wire that one up but I could not figure out how to do it at all and get it to work - so not sure. I may have also fried the LED trying. The LED rocker I recommended is very easy plug and play to get both LEDs illuminated with ignition (the top one does go out when you activate the horn but no big deal IMO since your finger is covering that LED logo anyhow. The horn wiring is an anomaly to me - hot comes in on one wire and upon activating the momentary switch goes out to the other wire. I have no clue whatsoever how the horn grounds itself.

One thing to note is you have to cut the original harnesses wiring "block" off and put new female spades on all the wires. I would highly recommend having the right crimpers to do this, something similar to these:

I also used heat shrink spades:

Lastly, these guys can build you any rocker switch you want - a bit pricey but name brand USA made switches (not chinese ones like I used) and if you aren't cool opening up a switch and soldering they can build you anything. I am sure if you showed them this post, the pics of mine, and the wiring diagrams they could build you plug and play switches in a giffy!

Hope that helps and let me know if you have other questions, will help as much as I can!

Attachments

• Hazard Diagram.jpg
    Hazard Diagram.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 29
  • horn diagram.jpg
    horn diagram.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 29
See the pics for the wiring "diagrams."

So yes and no on the WD switches and this information came straight from them.

The WD Hazard switch has no LEDs in it at all, no capacitors on the circuit board for LEDs, nothing - and no pins to support power for any LEDs. If you take the rocker switch apart you can see that. It is simply an single throw single pole on-off switch, no LEDs. To illuminate that one you have to go with the rocker I recommended or something similar. And if you want the multicolor LED you have to solder in a red LED yourself.

The WD horn switch does have one LED - I believe on top - and it is blue. WD told me in theory you could wire that one up but I could not figure out how to do it at all and get it to work - so not sure. I may have also fried the LED trying. The LED rocker I recommended is very easy plug and play to get both LEDs illuminated with ignition (the top one does go out when you activate the horn but no big deal IMO since your finger is covering that LED logo anyhow. The horn wiring is an anomaly to me - hot comes in on one wire and upon activating the momentary switch goes out to the other wire. I have no clue whatsoever how the horn grounds itself.

One thing to note is you have to cut the original harnesses wiring "block" off and put new female spades on all the wires. I would highly recommend having the right crimpers to do this, something similar to these:

I also used heat shrink spades:

Lastly, these guys can build you any rocker switch you want - a bit pricey but name brand USA made switches (not chinese ones like I used) and if you aren't cool opening up a switch and soldering they can build you anything. I am sure if you showed them this post, the pics of mine, and the wiring diagrams they could build you plug and play switches in a giffy!

Hope that helps and let me know if you have other questions, will help as much as I can!

Awesome, Thank you

Back