Is it better than anything else out there?

Shanecorn

Jul 21, 2023
Spanish Fork UT
I feel too honestly answer the question time will tell. Meaning we need to get a year or maybe even two under our belts to see how these things hold up. My story as such that I have owned the general. I currently own a Rmax. The reason for changing from Polaris to Yamaha, was the general just wasnā€™t that reliable for me. I replaced the belt and clutch multiple times and towards 8500 miles had to put an engine in it. I know thereā€™s good and bad in everything and I just like to think that I kind of got a lemon. The Rmaxes were new to the scene and I decide why not.
So far 4000 miles and almost zero problems. So the Yamaha has been very reliable. But there are thing I really donā€™t like about it. Itā€™s LOUD! Way louder than the General. (So right off Iā€™m concerned. ) It does not turn for shit! And has the rear locked in all the time. And the worst thing about itā€¦. Yamaha has not supported assessories at all! The factory doors are a joke! Zero climate control. Ect.
So does a guy go back to Polaris ?
Have they fixed clutching/ belt issues?
Will this new heavier machine cause more of those issues?
Is it louder inside than the general? Or worse louder than my Rmax?
What do you all think???

From what I've heard, louder than the general slightly but substantially quieter than rmax.
I'd wait till Sunday to see the new polaris ranger or whatever they're going to call it. Chance it's got a geared transmission and perhaps even 3 cylinders. All speculation of course, but worth waiting till next Sunday.

Thanks for the info! I for sure want to see what the new Ranger is. We have 2 rangers now on the farm/ ranch. Very capable machines but not that fun to go recreate in.

This new machine has 5 lugs so it's either xpedition chassis or all new
From a manufacturing standpoint, it would make sense if they released a new Ranger with the Xpedition engine and chassis. Everything else they could gear towards work like a front bench seat, dump bed, etc.

I won't have a bench seat for riding in the mountains so the Ranger is out for me.. The bucket seats hold you in place better and are way more comfortable.

I won't have a bench seat for riding in the mountains so the Ranger is out for me.. The bucket seats hold you in place better and are way more comfortable.
Bucket seats are the way to go if you can! My kiddo and dog on the other hand would completely disagree haha! They like to roam all over the front of the cab or sit right next to me. I need to start getting them used to the backseat...

The Yamaha Rmax has a 10 year belt warranty. Youā€™ll never see a can-am or Polaris with that.

The new Xpedition has the same Primary and secondary clutches as the ā€˜24 XP1000 RZR. Itā€™s also the same gen2 motor and unlike previously, they didnā€™t dumb it down from the RZR. Itā€™s got the same 114 hp.

There were several problems with the General primary and secondary clutches. First, in the primary, they had smaller, rubber backed buttons on the spider. This was supposed to make them quieter but it had the adverse effect of making the clutch shorter lived if someone didnā€™t take super good care of it.
Second, On the secondary, they had square pucks instead of rollers. No idea what the point of that was but those pucks would start wearing into the housing the minute it left the factory. One could replace those pucks with rollers if they had the know how, or have a shop do it and significantly increase the lifespan of the secondary clutch.

All that being said, the clutches and belt on the Xpedition are a lot better than the generals, but thereā€™s improvements that can be made. A clutch kit will improve the belt pinch and reduce potential belt slipping. Also while there are rollers in the secondary, they can be replaced with higher quality ones thatā€™ll last longer.

Aside from that is simple preventative maintenance. Pulling the clutch cover and blowing the dust out of the clutches every few rides or more often if you ride in really dusty areas will increase their lifespan greatly.

As for the motors Iā€™ve heard of a few giving up, but never anyoneā€™s that I knew so canā€™t really talk to that.

Last edited:
The Yamaha Rmax has a 10 year belt warranty. Youā€™ll never see a can-am or Polaris with that.

The new Xpedition has the same Primary and secondary clutches as the ā€˜24 XP1000 RZR. Itā€™s also the same gen2 motor and unlike previously, they didnā€™t dumb it down from the RZR. Itā€™s got the same 114 hp.

There were several problems with the General primary and secondary clutches. First, in the primary, they had smaller, rubber backed buttons on the spider. This was supposed to make them quieter but it had the adverse effect of making the clutch shorter lived if someone didnā€™t take super good care of it.
Second, On the secondary, they had square pucks instead of rollers. No idea what the point of that was but those pucks would start wearing into the housing the minute it left the factory. One could replace those pucks with rollers if they had the know how, or have a shop do it and significantly increase the lifespan of the secondary clutch.

All that being said, the clutches and belt on the Xpedition are a lot better than the generals, but thereā€™s improvements that can be made. A clutch kit will improve the belt pinch and reduce potential belt slipping. Also while there are rollers in the secondary, they can be replaced with higher quality ones thatā€™ll last longer.

Aside from that is simple preventative maintenance. Pulling the clutch cover and blowing the dust out of the clutches every few rides or more often if you ride in really dusty areas will increase their lifespan greatly.

As for the motors Iā€™ve heard of a few giving up, but never anyoneā€™s that I knew so canā€™t really talk to that.
10 year belt warranty!
One of thee biggest selling points for me when I went to the Rmax. We( mechanic and I ) did get a great system figured out on the general though. Bilge pump fan ! Yes a small fan from a boat inlined to the clutch vent tube helped keep it cool and get rid of the dust. After we did our experiment many guys around started doing the same thing and even though it did nothing to actually fix the problems that you mentioned, it did drastically increase belt and clutch life. In fact I never replaced a belt in 4000 miles on my General after that.

BTW ALL. I did go down to the dealer yesterday and actually play around with a ADV 2 seater. Very nice was my first impression. Fit and finish interior was the best that I have seen in an UTV. Seating position was great, sound system was very nice. AC was getting it done and it was 105 yesterday here in Utah. The machine was ordered by another customer so I didnā€™t drive it. šŸ˜© It had 32ā€ tires that looked way better than the stock 30ā€. Salesman said they would clear without rubbing.
It reminded me of the Bronco 11 that I drove in high school!

Back